RTO is an abbreviation used for Regional Transport Officer. Regional Transport Officer is licensing, registration, taxation authority of that region.
You have to approach your local motor vehicles office of the Transport Department for registration of your vehicles.
The registration procedure includes the vehicle to be inspected physically by Inspecting Authority at Registering Authority Office for its particulars and followed by registration. The documents required to apply the registration are as follows :-
  • Prescribed fee for registration.
  • Form 20 duly filled up.
  • Form 21 (Sale certificate) issued by the vehicle dealer.
  • Form 22 (Road worthiness certificate) issued by the manufacturer.
  • Valid vehicle insurance policy/cover note.
  • Self attested Copy of address proof of the owner (along with the original).
  • Form 34 duly signed by owner and the financier in case vehicle is bought on Hypothecation.
  • Proof of Garage Address (for Transport vehicles only).
  • Temporary Registration & related documents, if any.
  • Offer Letter (for Transport vehicles only).
  • Any other relevant documents.
  • All taxes will have to be paid to complete the process of registration.

  • No person can drive a motor vehicle, which is not registered with R.T.O.
  • No owner of a motor vehicle can allow or permit the use of unregistered vehicle.
  • No dealer of vehicle can deliver the unregistered motor vehicle to the purchaser. He can only deliver the vehicles which are temporarily /permanently registered with R.T.O
  • Register your vehicle at the registering authority (RTO) in whose jurisdiction you reside or you have a place of business where the vehicle is normally kept.

No, the dealer cannot deliver unregistered vehicles to the customers. The dealer will have to get the vehicle registered, either temporarily or permanently, in the name of customer first and only then can hand over the vehicle to the customer. If an un-registered vehicle is found plying on the road it will attract prosecution under MV Act. A trade certificate is issued to the dealers by the Transport Department to drive the unregistered vehicles, by their drivers, which are in their control and possession, up to the motor vehicle office for registration purposes.
Under the provisions of section 52 of Motor Vehicle Act, the alteration of Motor Vehicle is allowed after obtaining of prior permission from the registering authority. If any registering authority feels that there are sufficient grounds for such alteration in the vehicle, the permission is granted. The conversion of fuel type is also allowed after the permission is granted. The vehicle will require inspection before the final endorsement.
You should keep original registration certificate in your vehicle and keep the photocopies at your home. You can be prosecuted for not having original documents with you in the vehicle.